Now that we have a woodburning stove, we try to burn it as much as possible to help with our heating bill. While Hubs has no problem starting a fire with kindling, newspaper, and a match, I need a little extra help. We have been buying fire starters, but I hate to spend money on something that is supposed to be saving us money. Considering all of the wood we have burned this winter has been free, it seems a little wrong to buy fire starters just for me. Solution? Making my own out of materials that I would have thrown away anyway.
You will need:
An egg carton made of cardboard. The Styrofoam or plastic kind will not work
Wax from an old candle or a Dollar Tree cheapie
Something to cover your work surface with (wax paper, parchment paper, newspaper, plastic bag)
Melt the candle wax. I just stuck my jar candle on top of the woodburning stove and it melted it right down. You can also use a double-boiler.
Stuff each egg pocket with dryer lint. You don’t have to pack it too tightly. Just fill each compartment.
Drizzle melted wax on top of the lint covering it completely. I didn’t quite have enough wax in the jar candle so I used the wax that had been melting in my Scentsy warmer nonstop since Christmas and was finally starting to loose its smell. Now they look festive!
Let cool and harden completely. Cut them all up and store by your fireplace or in a gallon zipper bag to take camping.
Here’s one up close. Kind of looks like a dairy product you left in the refrigerator for a couple of years, doesn’t it?
They work just as well or better as pricey fire starters so I’ll be making more in the future. I’ve heard you can do the same thing using cardboard toilet paper and paper towel rolls. That will be my next project.