Make Your Own Fire Starters for free!

2.9K Flares 2.9K Flares ×
Now that we have a woodburning stove, we try to burn it as much as possible to help with our heating bill. While Hubs has no problem starting a fire with kindling, newspaper, and a match, I need a little extra help. We have been buying fire starters, but I hate to spend money on something that is supposed to be saving us money. Considering all of the wood we have burned this winter has been free, it seems a little wrong to buy fire starters just for me. Solution? Making my own out of materials that I would have thrown away anyway.

You will need:
An egg carton made of cardboard. The Styrofoam or plastic kind will not work
Dryer lint
Wax from an old candle or a Dollar Tree cheapie

Something to cover your work surface with (wax paper, parchment paper, newspaper, plastic bag)

Melt the candle wax. I just stuck my jar candle on top of the woodburning stove and it melted it right down. You can also use a double-boiler.
Stuff each egg pocket with dryer lint. You don’t have to pack it too tightly. Just fill each compartment.
Drizzle melted wax on top of the lint covering it completely. I didn’t quite have enough wax in the jar candle so I used the wax that had been melting in my Scentsy warmer nonstop since Christmas and was finally starting to loose its smell. Now they look festive! ;)
Let cool and harden completely. Cut them all up and store by your fireplace or in a gallon zipper bag to take camping.
Here’s one up close. Kind of looks like a dairy product you left in the refrigerator for a couple of years, doesn’t it?
They work just as well or better as pricey fire starters so I’ll be making more in the future. I’ve heard you can do the same thing using cardboard toilet paper and paper towel rolls. That will be my next project.

Comments

1. Wow Jenn!! Thanks for this!! We have a fireplace and normally we have a fantastic piece of heart pine we use for lighter, but we left it at our other house because we didn't have anywhere to store it when we were in temporary housing & looking for a house. So, we've been buying those firestarters too. We started chopping them in half or thirds to save money, but I think this is going to be the best solution!

2. Sweet T Makes Three says:

You're welcome, Brandi. We were chopping ours in half too but they are still expensive. I couldn't believe how well this worked!

3. LambAround says:

I'm so glad you found my blog! This is exactly the kind of blog I love to read. Sexy Nerd and I are about your age and are debating about whether or not to have a baby soon. How funny that you downsized after an addition to your family :)

4. I have made these before and they work great!! Terry

I am a new follower

5. What's in a name.. says:

Following you via Wandering Wednesday. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/

6. Cathy Kennedy says:

Clever, money saving tip! We don't have need for this, but I certainly will be mindful of this in the future.

Thanks for the stop at my blog. Hope some of your readers will click over to see what my site has to offer as a children's author.

Share the love with anyone who's interested a wholesome family oriented easy reader called, The Tale of Ole Green Eyes. Check it out at:

7. Neat! I don't have a fireplace but they'd be nice for camping. Following you back. :)

8. Made By Gen says:

Interesting.. A new follower from Welcome Wednesday…See you in my page.

9. Katy at Big Girl Panties says:

I just found your blog and this looks awesome! We have a wood stove and my husband is great at starting fires, but I'm still "learning"…ha! This will definitely help me out. Thanks for sharing :)

10. Just followed you back! Love your blog…thanks! http://www.markhampenny.blogspot.com

11. Bethany Learn @fit2bmama says:

Fit2B Mama here following you back. I love this idea. I recently stuffed dryer lint into toilet paper rolls as fire starters. I think I'll add the wax factor next time. Thanks!

12. Tanya (a Taste of T) says:

What a great idea!

<3, New Follower

13. Why hello!! I'm new to the blog and your tutorial is perfect for me!!!

14. Nanny Anna says:

What a Great use for to throwaway products! These really do work great too, I have made them before when we had a wood stove. Sure speeds up the lighting process.

Now we have a pellet stove so I just turn up the thermostat and it starts feeding pellets for me.

Anna

15. Thanks for following and stopping by The Elephant's Trunk! I am now following you back.

16. Anonymous says:

I love this idea! Very creative. I don't have a fireplace yet. But I'll put it away for future use. Thanks Jenn.

17. Amy @ Homestead Revival says:

Hi Jenn, glad to have you over at Homestead Revival™! I'm so glad to see this "recipe"; I'd seen it ages ago on the internet and wanted to make some but had no idea where I'd seen them. I have a huge container of lint just waiting for this project. I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for sharing it.

18. Well I am going to have to try this out for sure! We moved on the farm in September and I have had a fire practically every night, we have been buying the fire starters because I am a horrible ‘fire starter’ I have the egg cartons and wax that is nice and hot and losing it’s smell, going to try this out maybe later tonight!

19. Matt mmWine Horbund says:

That sounds like a great way to make starting a fire a little more fun and personal. Great idea!